cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I was divorced in 2009...

I was divorced in 2009, and my wife and I had a joint mortgage on our property with Bank of America. In our divorce decree, the judge said that she would get the house and would take over all payments and refinance it after one year and have my name taken off so that just her name would be on it.

She has let the house go into foreclosure and has not made any mortgage payments for a year and a half. I want to get this off my record. If I file bankruptcy will it go off my record? I contacted B of A and they said I was still liable to pay for it.I am worried that they can come after me after the bankrupty is done because the house may still be in foreclosure. Would they be able to come after me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

If you file a Bankruptcy, your credit report will indicate that the mortgage was included in a Bankruptcy.

cfortunato :

Additionally, if you file a Bankruptcy, and include the mortgage, the mortgage company will not be able to try to collect the balance of the mortgage from you - either before or after the house forecloses.

cfortunato :

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

cfortunato :

Thank you.