Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My ex-wife is about to file for bankruptcy and Id like to

My ex-wife is about to file for bankruptcy and I'd like to know how it may affect me.

Here are a few specifics about our situation:
- She is unwilling to give me details, e.g. financial status, scope of debt
- We divorced 3 1/2 years ago; divorce decree dated 29 July 09
- Our divorce process was collaborate
- We are both retired from the Air Force
- Per the decree, "hers is hers and mine is mine", e.g. no alimony or other financial support between us
- We have two children, 17 and 19; the older is in college and the younger lives with her mother
- We have/had no joint accounts or property, that I am aware of
- She owns her house; mortgage in her name only
- She owns a business; it's an LLC and I was not directly part of it in any way
- I assume that her business has gone poorly and is the cause of her financial problems
- She has a job
- I have a job, rent out my home, and am financially comfortable.

How might I be at risk and what should I do to protect myself, if needed?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Your former wife's bankruptcy would not typically have any effect on you since you do not have any joint debt or joint assets. You have both waived alimony/ financial support and therefore her financial situation cannot increase her alimony.

Based on your information only the child support may be adjusted to reflect the current financial situation.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

Question #3 of the survey will ask you: "How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.