How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39178
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina, I lost my connection. Here is the scenario: My wife

This answer was rated:

Tina, I lost my connection. Here is the scenario: My wife and I have a BK 7 in the works, we have not had our hearing, attorney retained and just gathering info to actually file. I am on title as MM sole and seperate. We are 2 months down on our house and my wife wants me to quitclaim title over to her father and he will make house payments. I have been advised that changing title or doing anything to affect the property will either stay the ability to have the BK7 discharged or levy major scrutiny for the discharge.

My question(s) is: What would be in my best interest to make sure the BK proceeds smoothly to discharge? To what extent would a recorded quitclaim affect the BK proceedings?


Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

There is no reason to quitclaim the property at this time. If you have any equity in the property, then the quitclaim will destroy your homestead exemption and you won't be able to keep the property -- the bankruptcy trustee will be able to seize it and sell it to pay your unsecured creditors.

And, if you have no equity, there's no reason to transfer the property to your spouse's father, because you would be transferring nothing of value. Your father-in-law would get nothing from that transfer, and by making the transfer, the bankruptcy trustee will start wondering if you're playing games and hiding assets. A Chapter 7 can be completed in about 120 days. If father-in-law wants to make some payments toward the mortgage while your bankruptcy is ongoing, he can just mail a check to the loan servicer.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you