Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

The last item in my husband's estate is a contract with

Customer Question

The last item in my husband's estate is a contract with another professional (signed before his death) with payments due on percentage of income from his prior clients over a 3 year period. At this time the buyer is way behind on payments. Indications are that she will be filing bankruptcy soon. There was no recourse in the original contract to have files returned to family etc nor was there any interest stated. The question has come up - does the filing of bankruptcy end/cancel the contract or will future earnings be due the estate for 2 years?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

The bankruptcy can reject that contract, and that debt would be discharged for any future obligation and any past due amounts owed discharged.

Terry L. :

I see you are offline, Let me know if you have any questions?.

Terry L. :

Let me know if you have any other questions. This question is still open, so please click "accept" and rate a 3 or higher for me to get credit! Thanks