How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank. I received

This answer was rated:

I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank. I received a summons last night 11/1/2012 which was date stamped August 31, 2012. They say I have only 30 calendar days to file legal papers to settle my $18,397 debt.

The issuing Law offices are in Southern California, How do I know they are truly representing American Express and are not a third party taking the case? What should I do next?

I don't want to be put in a position where I could have bank accounts seized. I am already broke which is why I was unable to make the payments. Is filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy an option?

Thank you for your assistance.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Chapter 7 bankruptcy would typically be an option if in fact you owe the money. A chapter 7 bankruptcy would typically discharge/erase the debt.

If you do not file a chapter 7 bankruptcy or respond timely, a default can be entered against you.

You will need to copy the caption from your complaint. Instead of "Complaint" put the word "Answer". You can then deny each and every allegation contained in the claim and demand strict proof
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you