How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of florida. I have been unemployed for 3 years.

This answer was rated:

I am a resident of florida. I have been unemployed for 3 years. I owe 50K in student loans, 15k in Credit card debt and 30k in personal debt.

My assets are small. 2k in an IRA. 2k equity in a whole life policy and my claim to my ex wife's home. The home is worth 60k, but is being difficult to sell

If I seek bankrupcy protection, will a lien be put against my ex's home by the CCard companies or the federal student loans? What about the IRA and whole life policy?
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

You cannot file BK and protect the asset that you claim in your ex wife's home as it is not your residence. And if you do file, the BK court will force your ex to sell the home or pay to the court what is your interest. And that money would be used to pay your creditors. Likewise, you cannot fiie a quitclaim deed as all deed transfers made within two years of filing BK may be set aside by the BK court as a fraudulent transfer to hide assets. So please do not go down this road.
dylatess and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you