Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

A debtor received a foreclosure sale notice. The scheduled

A debtor received a foreclosure...
A debtor received a foreclosure sale notice. The scheduled sheriff's sale is 44 days away. The debtor is expecting to file Chapter 13 to stop the foreclosure. To stop the foreclosure sale, can the debtor file as late as the day before the sheriff's meeting? Or must the debtor file sooner?
10/10/2012
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under the law if the debtor filed bankruptcy the day before that would stop the sale the next day or even on that day, the practical problem is that if notice is not given to the Sheriff prior to the sale, they will go on with the sale and it would be difficult to reverse it, it is best to file a few days before the sale date, or even file an emergency bankruptcy petition, which is just the creditors information and basic personal information, that would stop the sale and give you enough time to notify the sheriff of the filing.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney