Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My husband filed for bankruptcy - my name is XXXXX XXXXX to any of his debt or the house

or any of the paperwork...
My husband filed for bankruptcy - my name is XXXXX XXXXX to any of his debt or the house or any of the paperwork for bankruptcy. I want to file for divirce however in the past year I purchased a small pop-up camper that i paid mostly in cash and the rest by debit card all from my own bank account and saving, but i had them put his name on it as well. If i file now while he is still in bankrupcy will that pop-up come up before bankrupcy court as an asset to him?
10/4/2012
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney

cortrightlaw : If his name is XXXXX XXXXX title he should have listed on his bankruptcy as an asset, unless you purchased it after he filed bankruptcy. If that is the case it is not an issue and you are fine. Also your filing for bankruptcy should not bring up any red flags in his bankruptcy.
Customer: It was purchased after he filed for bankruptcy. I myself have not filed for bankruptcy nor do I intend to, I am looking to file for divorce, but that's an issue for another lawyer. My husband is telling me that if I file for divorce that it will have to be listed as an asset divided in the divorce and it will get brought up in his bankruptcy case.
cortrightlaw :

I would say he is correct that it will have to be listed on the divorce and divided or dealt with through the divorce, but I do not agree that it will have to be brought up in his bankruptcy proceeding.

cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney