socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My car loan was included in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and was

My car loan was included in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and was not paid in full prior to the case being dismissed. The interest rated was lowered in the bankruptcy. I have the amount of the claim submitted to the Court and the principal balance owed at the time of dismissal. Would this be the amount I would need to pay off? What about interest? I assume it would revert back to the original rate, but only on the unpaid balance?
The claim would revert back to the original loan contract. Any payments made during bankruptcy would be credited to the loan payment, however, if the interest rate was lowered, your new balance may not reflect the entire value of your payments, because the interest that would have been charged will reduce the amount of your principal payments made during bankruptcy.

This actually makes for a rather difficult little accounting problem, because you and the lender will have to take the payments made during bankruptcy, and reapply them to the loan balance on the dates of payment but according to the original loan terms, and then recalculate the remaining balance for each payment date, to obtain a final payoff amount.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, whatever was imposed under the bankruptcy plan is null and void (i.e., as if it never occurred).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!