How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul K, Esq. Your Own Question
Paul K, Esq.
Paul K, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 141
Experience:  10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Paul K, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not considering bankruptcy because there would be no

Customer Question

I am not considering bankruptcy because there would be no point. I do not on anything. Right now I have a judgement against me from a Discover card I could not pay off and I make payments to a law firm now. I do not think I am going to be able to continue that. What post judgement actions should I expect from them? I still owe them 800.00. I live in South Carolina. Also, soon I have a private loan from the state of South Carolina. It was a teacher loan for around 30,000.00 total and I will not be able to pay the payment. What should I expect from them? I am lost and have hit rock bottom.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.
cortrightlaw : Once someone has a judgment they can attempt to collect on that judgment by garnishing wages, seizing funds in bank accounts or leaving property that you own. They usually fist try to put a wage garnishment if they can find where you are working. They seldom seize items like vehicles but I have seen it done. As to the school loan they could eventually sue and seek a judgment also. It would be best if you keep in contact with the school loan so they are aware of your situation.
JACUSTOMER-achg429h- :

In SC private creditors cannot garnish wages. I don't know if the student loan debt can. I have no property and will never have property in my name considering. What did you mean by "leaving property that you own"? Also, what is seizing funds in bank accounts? Does that mean when my paycheck is directly deposited they take the entire check?

JACUSTOMER-achg429h- :


JACUSTOMER-achg429h- :

is there anyone else i can talk to?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Paul K, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would love to assist you.

In South Carolina your wages cannot be garnished at all. A creditor can, however, take money out of your bank account, even if joint with a spouse, if you have over $150.00 in the account. So keep your account balance low to avoid this.

As for student loans, since it is owed to the State and is not a private loan, the state can garnish your wages. You will want to be proactive with them and try to get on deferment until your situation improves. Here is a website that may get you started:

There is a student loan forgiveness program but unfortunately it only applies to federal loans.

I will be on throughout the day and night to ensure I answered your question fully, so if not, please let me know and I will supplement.

Expert:  Paul K, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I strive to make sure you are fully satisfied before we end the session, so let me know if you have further or follow-up questions. It is pretty normal for there to be some back and forth over a period of time until we get it fully complete.
Have a great day and I look forward to assisting you.