Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am confused about Schedule F in a ch7 bankruptcy case. Do

I list everyone that I...
I am confused about Schedule F in a ch7 bankruptcy case. Do I list everyone that I put ont he creditor matrix? If so, what if I do not know the last 4 digits of the account number ( like it says to do) and I do not know the date I incured the debt. And what does "Contingent" "Unliquidated"mean?
10/1/2012
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Attorney2020 :

Hello:

List every single debt that you may have. Otherwise, the debt will not be discharged in the bankruptcy. Also, for the account numbers, make sure to obtain those account numbers. You should be able to obtain them from the creditor. If not, make sue to fill out as much information as possible about them. For date, the date that you incurred the debt to th ebest of your knowledge.

Here is an explanation of the terms:

• Contingent. The claim depends on some event that hasn’t yet occurred and may never occur. For example, if you cosigned a secured loan, you won’t be liable unless the principal debtor defaults. Your liability as cosigner is contingent upon the default.

• Unliquidated. This means that a debt may exist, but the exact amount hasn’t been determined. For example, say you’ve sued someone for injuries you suffered in an auto accident, but the case isn’t over. Your lawyer has taken the case under a contingency fee agreement—the lawyer will get a third of the recovery if you win, and nothing if you lose—and has a security interest in the final recovery amount. The debt to the lawyer is unliquidated because you don’t know how much, if anything, you’ll win.

• Disputed.A claim is disputed if you and the creditor do not agree about the existence or amount of the debt. For instance, suppose the IRS says you owe $10,000 and has put a lien on your property, and you say you owe $500. List the full amount of the lien, not the amount you think you owe.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts

are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Information given is not legal advice. I am not your attorney. The information given is general only. I am not establishing or accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney