How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are in a chapter 13, and have been keeping up with payments

This answer was rated:

If you are in a chapter 13, and have been keeping up with payments as directed, would you be able to buy a car?
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
The short answer is YES. However, under the rules of the Chapter 13, before you can incur any debt for more than $500, you do need court permission and there is a process to follow. Specifically, you need to negotiate your best deal and then apply to the court to incur the debt and attach the contract to purchase. The request has to go through the chapter 13 trustee first and once he or she approves, they file it with the court. Note there is also a specific form which you can obtain from the clerk's office titled Motion to Incur New Debt.
dylatess and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions