How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyVirtualCPA Your Own Question
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
MyVirtualCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For schedule D. My second mortgage is listed as "charge-off"

This answer was rated:

For schedule D. My second mortgage is listed as "charge-off" on my credit report. Law firm is suing me for monetary damages. Do I check it as disputed?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. If you are currently being sued for monetary damages, then the loan is not forgiven and you do not have taxable income yet. If you receive a 1099-C for this amount while there are still pending legal actions, then you will need to send an explanatory paragraph that states that the loan has not been forgiven and therefore is not includable as income.

Schedule D is for capital gains and losses, which are not calculated on the sale/foreclosure/short sale of a primary residence. Only second homes and rental properties. If this is not a second home or rental property, then you do not need to complete schedule D.

Please let me know if there's something that I am missing in your situation.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
MyVirtualCPA and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for you reply. Question was directed to FiveStarLaw. It is not regarding accounting issues.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer