How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Filed bankrupty in early 2000. Just found out public records

Customer Question

Filed bankrupty in early 2000. Just found out public records still shows a judgement against me. This debt was included in the filing. How do I get it off my record.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney.


In order for a judgment to be discharged, you must file a motion to avoid a judicial lien. Your attorney can file a motion with the bankruptcy court requesting that the judicial lien be removed from your home and other property upon completion of your bankruptcy. If the bankruptcy court grants the motion, then the judgment creditor will no longer have a lien on your property. You also need to ensure that the judgment debt is listed on your actual bankruptcy petition in order for the debt to be eliminated.


IF you did both of these things, then the debt is not collectible and you can file a grievance with credit reporting agency to have the judgment removed, or at the very least, you can have a notation placed on your credit report that says the judgment debt has been discharged.