How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask HCLegal Your Own Question
HCLegal, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 423
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
HCLegal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in pa. And over a year ago I entered into a land contract

Customer Question

I live in pa. And over a year ago I entered into a land contract the owner has informed me she is filing bankruptcy. What effect will it have on our land contract deal?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I'm stiiilll waiting
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  HCLegal replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I apologize for it taking so long to find someone to answer your question.


It will not effect your rights as to the contract as long as you continue to make the required payments as per your contract.


Depending on whether or not this asset of the owners is exempt or not, the bankruptcy trustee may take the asset, which is the contract with you and not the land, and sell if to someone else. If that happens you will just have to make the payments to whoever bought the property.


To be safe, I would still talk with a bankruptcy attorney just to make sure that the owner listed your contract in her bankruptcy petition correctly.


You can find a bankruptcy attorney in your area by going to


Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification on any part of my answer.


I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to RATE MY ANSWER or PRESS THE ACCEPT BUTTON, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you- I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press RATE MY ANSWER with 3 stars or more, even if you already have a subscription. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after rating my answer, if we continue the conversation.


If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an "add on" (available after you rate my answer) is truly appreciated.


If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put "For HCLegal" at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.