Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I recently filed BK7 & recd a discharge for irs 2001-2006 taxes.

IRS has removed the lien...
I recently filed BK7 & recd a discharge for irs 2001-2006 taxes. IRS has removed the lien.
I overpaid 2007 - 2011 taxes that IRS sent a letter saying I was due the refund. I reviewed my transcripts that appear they applied to the older taxes that had been discharged, the trustee also stated in the BK7 that these were not priority because they were old. Should I fight this or leave alone...
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2012
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

When was your Bankruptcy filed, and when was the discharge date?
Filed 2011 bk 13,converted to 7 and dismissed 4/2012. IRS released tax lien may 2012.
Thank you for your response.The fact that your Bankruptcy discharge was so recent means the IRS department that made the decision to withhold a portion of your over-payment might not yet at the time received notice of your discharge. You should, therefore, contact that department to inform them of your discharge, so that you can get the full amount due you.In other words, it does make sense to not leave it alone.I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.Thank you.
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney