HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

I want to file chapter 7 I never really had to work cause I

I want to file chapter 7 I never really had to work cause I had a boyfriend that paid my bills but we are not together anymore and now I'm in debt when I did work I worked as a independent contracter and didn't report my income to the irs so can I file and how do I go about doing it without a attorney I was going to have a bk prepior the paper work for me and file it myself
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 5 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.

HCLegal :

You can file your bankruptcy without an attorney, although you may want to consider having a bankruptcy preparer prepare the paperwork for you. It generally costs a couple hundred dollars and are usually well worth it.

HCLegal :

You can get copies of the forms need at the following website....

HCLegal :

http://www.canb.uscourts.gov/court-information/filing-bankruptcy-case-without-attorney

HCLegal :

As far as qualifying for the bankruptcy. The court is going to look at your last 6 months worth of income.

HCLegal :

if you have not worked in 6 months then you will not have any problem qualifying for a chapter 7.

HCLegal :

The Means Test is the main test you have to pass in order to qualify for a chapter 7.

HCLegal :

the means test is based on the median income, if you income is below the median then you automatically pass this test, if it is over the median then there is a long form that needs to be completed which is too difficult to explain here on this chat.

HCLegal :

The median income in California for a 1 person household is, $49,188

HCLegal :

Please let me know if you need any clarification on my answer or if you have any other questions.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT or RATE ME, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT or RATE ME, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.

Customer:

okay so since i didnt have income coming in i didnt file my taxes do i have to have my taxes done