John A. Flynn, Esq.
John A. Flynn, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  14 Years Experience in Bankruptcy - Mid-South Super Lawyer
11873311

My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX If legal fees are

My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX If legal fees are awarded in a Supreme Court Civil Suit, can the legal fees be discharged in Bankruptcy. Assets being A, Annuity, a home. The annuity was purchased with taxed income saved for purchase of annuity to earn income which is also taxable. Legal fees are in excess of $35,000.00
If the legal fees are a part of a judgment, then the judgment might constitute a lien on your home. However, in a Chapter 13 or, if appropriate, Chapter 11, you may be able to void the judicial lien depending on certain factors which you should discuss with a local bankruptcy attorney. Once the lien is avoided, the judgment is simply an unsecured debt which can be discharged in bankruptcy.