How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cortrightlaw Your Own Question
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 513
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cortrightlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for bankruptcy which the first case was filed May 2010

This answer was rated:

I filed for bankruptcy which the first case was filed May 2010 and I finally got a discharge for chapter 7 Jan 2012. My first chapter 13 was dismissed and then refiled and then converted to chapter 7. The lawyer I had screwed up so many things. My car got repossessed and he paid for it and took me to pick it up. Now I had unclaimed funds sitting in federal court that were supposed to go to the car finance and he gave the wrong address that is why it went to unclaimed funds. He never filed my credit classes on time so my chapter 7 wasn't discharged until Jan 2012 when it was filed in march 2011. He stalled and stalled and finally I told him I was going to report him to the bar. He finally filed it and by then the car place took my whole unclaimed funds. They were only supposed to get $1181 but because they didn't get the check until Feb. 2012 they kept the rest which $954 was supposed to go back to me. I told him I didn't think they would give me a refund but he said they had to. I wanted the check to go to myself and I would of paid the balance and gotten my portion back. I filed a complaint with the BBB because they never billed me for anything they just kept it. I am still working on that. My lawyer offered me a $400 refund but I told him I wanted the full amount since this is all his fault. Nobody I know has their cases drawn out for 2 years. I know he didn't have the money, $300, to open my chapter 7 back up and stalled until the new year. I have had it with him and want to know if I need to report him to the bar unless he gives me my money that he screwed up. Thank You, kikikat

cortrightlaw : You need to look at your retainer agreement and see how your dispute about his services should be handled, are you required to go to mediation? If not you can take him to small claims court for breach of contract. Or you could file a motion to disgorge his attorney fees in the bankruptcy court and let the bankruptcy judge deal with the situation. As a last resort you could always file a complaint with your state bar.

Thank You for your suggestions. I hate to be a jerk but I feel like I been taken!

cortrightlaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
I understand, you should get the good service you paid for, I know we do not always make each and every client happy, sometimes I have not met my clients expectations, and sometimes their expectations are not reasonable. Good luck