Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I am seperated from my husband, and in 2011 declared Chapter

Customer Question

I am seperated from my husband, and in 2011 declared Chapter 13 Bamkruptcy in Ohio. My husband and I have two homes, the home I live in is mortgaged in my name. However, the deed has both my husband and my names on it. The home I live in was included in my Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

My husband has decided he needs to do either a Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy. He lives in the other home and the title to that home is in both our names as well. The mortgage for this home is in his name.

My question is will I have to dispose of the home I live in becasue of his bandruptcy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
1) What is the current market value of the home you are living in?
2) What is the balance on the mortgage of the home you are living in?
3) Was this house purchased while you were married, and was it purchased with marital (not separate) money?