Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I filed Chapter 7, however, I am a Domestic Partner here in CA. I avoided three judgment

I filed Chapter 7, however, I am a Domestic Partner here in CA. I avoided three judgment liens in bk including a contractor, but he is now going after my domestic partner. The contractor filed for interest on an old judgment lien, which the judge ordered void and unenforceable, but he filed for another $10,000. during my automatic stay. Now this same framer is going after my domestic partner which he finally noticed me on March 10, 2012 with a Notice of Levy to Sale our home.
What can I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I filed Chapter 7, however, I am a Domestic Partner here in CA. I avoided three judgment liens in bk including a contractor, but he is now going after my domestic partner. The contractor filed for interest on an old judgment lien, which the judge ordered void and unenforceable, but he filed for another $10,000. during my automatic stay. Now this same framer is going after my domestic partner which he finally noticed me on March 10, 2012 with a Notice of Levy to Sale our home.
What can I do?

Response: Have your partner also file for bankruptcy protection. The contractor is now going after your partner because there is no co-debtor protection in a Chapter 7. So, even if the debts have been discharged against you, the contractor can go after your partner for the debts. However, the contractor violated the Automatic Stay when it filed another lien for $10,000.00 during your Automatic Stay. You can file for sanctions against the Contractor in the Bankruptcy Court for violation of the Automatic Stay.