Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am a Florida Certified Construction Builder. I have to renew

Customer Question
my license in August of...
I am a Florida Certified Construction Builder. I have to renew my license in August of this year. I have a lot of liens and judgements against me for matters not concerning construction but understand they will not renew my license if have liens or judgements against me. The question is will I be able to renew my contractors license if I file for bankruptcy protection and if I file does the bankruptcy have to be final? This is my only means of making a living so it is extremely important to me to know if i will be able to keep my license under these circumstances.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
4/2/2012
Bankruptcy Lawyer: HCLegal, Attorney replied 5 years ago
HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.

HCLegal :

If your liens and judgments were not incurred due to any fraudulent dealings then they should be dischargeable in a bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

Once the bankruptcy has been discharged then the liens and judgments would go away and you would not be liable on them anymore.

HCLegal :

I do not know what the requirements are for the contractors license but if the application says asks if you have "EVER" had any judgments or liens then you would have to list them even if they were included in a bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

But if the application ask if you "HAVE ANY UNRESOLVED" or something to that effect, then you would not have to disclose them as they would have all been resolved by the bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

In your situation I would HIGHLY recommend using a bankruptcy attorney to make sure that your bankruptcy goes smoothly and everything is done correctly in order to make sure those judgments and liens are dischargeable and to make sure all the liens get voided in the bankruptcy, which is usually an extra step.

HCLegal :

You would have to wait until the bankruptcy was final.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-HESTONCIMENTpllc/

JACUSTOMER-83q2xqk5- :

I am sorry but this does not really answer my question. I understand your points about bankruptcy itself but my question deals with whether I would be able to renew my contractors license while in bankruptcy or after bankruptcy. It seems i would have to speak with an attorney familiar with licensing law in Florida.

JACUSTOMER-83q2xqk5- :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-83q2xqk5- :

Anyeay

HCLegal : No problem, good luck!
HCLegal
HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney