How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am physically separated from my husband. I live in Idaho

Resolved Question:

I am physically separated from my husband. I live in Idaho and he lives in Minnesota and at some point we will get a divorce (over 6 months separated). Since he is a student and unemployed (he is 42 years old) and I am employed can I file bankruptcy just for myself only. We abandoned a house in Virginia when I lost my job and had to move to Minnesota for another job. This was over 1 and 1/2 years ago and it has not been foreclosed on. We did send them the keys when we left.

Where would I file for bankruptcy in this case? He owns a Jeep outright and I do not have a car but do have a 401K through my employer. I am physicially disabled and would qualify for disability but prefer to continue teaching classes online. I do not have health insurance and have may medical bills that I am paying on.

Can I file bankruptcy for myself only and will it eliminate debut that I have? Also, what state would I file in?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

I am the expert that will be assisting you today. Thank you for your question.

If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You may file a bankruptcy without your spouse. You would file in Idaho since that is the State where you currently reside.

A husband and wife are not required to file a bankruptcy jointly. One party can file without the other.

A bankruptcy would typically discharge/erase all outstanding medical bills

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about credit card debt and student loans?Innocent
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Credit cards would typically be discharged.

The student loans require a showing of hardship in order to obtain a discharge – you will need to meet with local counsel to determine whether your disability fits the criteria for a hardship

It has been my pleasure to assist you.

Your satisfaction is very important to me.
If I have not answered your question completely, please let me know by clicking reply.
If you are satisfied with my service, please leave positive feedback even if the law is not in your favor.

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by starting your new question with "For WebLaw"

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions