Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Hi. I am starting a new small business in Texas where I now…

Customer Question
Hi. I am starting a...
Hi. I am starting a new small business in Texas where I now live. I have a business in Arizona where I moved from. It is unfortunately not doing well now and I may need to file bankruptcy on it. To help get my business going quickly in Texas (so possibly can avoid BK in AZ by covering loan payments), my dad is willing to invest part of the start up so I dont have to take the time to find a lender.

Questions:
If he loans me money and it is in my account to use while starting new business and I BK on the other in AZ, then would that money be frozen once accounts are frozen when filing?

I many need my dad's name as cosigner on new TX lease just secondary to debt. Could he get wrapped up in the AZ bk in any way?

Should I just put the entire TX business (LLC and lease) under him and just work for him?
Is that 'cleaner'.

So I guess botXXXXX XXXXXne is I don't want him to in any way possibly become liable for anything in AZ while he is helping me get business going here in TX.

Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/7/2012
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Attorney
Good morning. What is your business structure in Arizona....sole proprietorship, LLC, corp, etc.? And, are you filing bankruptcy only for the business itself? Thanks.
Morning! I have an S and C corp and a business partner as well in those at 50% ownership. We would be filing personally if we had to go that route.

Thanks. If you would be filing personally, then you would want your dad to own this new business and you can work for the new business. Then, when all the bankruptcy stuff is behind you, you can then arrange for ownership from your dad, but you do not want any pre-arranged agreement.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Hi.
Thaks for the help on this. I will attemp to go the cleanest route of that my Dad owns it and I simply work for him with nothing but employment contract and no future transfer contract.

A follow up to that I do have money to invest in the business, and to live on while it gets going, that would be needed. Some from an account and some from an investment property I can sell. I just dont want to have it sitting in an account and lose it if I can put it into the business.

Would that be an acceptable way to use my own funds that doesnt look fraudulent if say 4 months later I am filing for bankruptcy.
If you invest in the business, you should get something in return that will be an asset in any bankruptcy. What I would suggest you do is prepay a bunch of your expenses.
By that you are referring to personal expenses that are acceptable such as student loans or tax debt verses something that would be used in the business or at least show a tie to 'investing' in the business.
Unfortunately, I'm not a bankruptcy expert, so you would need to address specific questions relating to bankruptcy in a new post in the bankruptcy category. I'm sorry!