WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Hello, I just received a Order and Notice of Chp 7 Bankruptcy Case from my mother. She w

I just received a Order and Notice of Chp 7 Bankruptcy Case from my mother. She warned me that she was declaring banrupcty because we have a credit card in our joint names with approx. 10K on it. This joint account was opened when I was in college so that I could build credit and use it to come home. My mother ended up using the card and running up the bill. I have been out of school for the last year and a half and I have been paying on this card in order to preserve my credit. I live in Texas and the notice is from Missouri. Now that she is filing bankruptcy, will this affect my credit? Also, do I need to do anything?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

Customer:

I'm sorry, where is your response written?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Your credit will not be affected in any way,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the only issue is that your liability towards the debt

WALLSTREETESQ :

will still remain,

WALLSTREETESQ :

she will be discharged from the liability, however the creditor can still come after you,

Customer:

If i have been making regular payments on the card, will the credit card company just continue to require monthly payments?

Customer:

Also, is the fact that i received this notice indicative of me being a creditor?

WALLSTREETESQ :

yes, however, I would contact them directly and make sure they know that you will be continuing the payments,

Customer:

will bankrupcy show up on my credit report even though i would continue to make payments?

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you received a notice, you could be a creditor, she may have listed as a joint debtor on the credit card, so that may be why you received it

WALLSTREETESQ :

No,

WALLSTREETESQ :

your credit in no way will be affected by her filing,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you need to make sure that the current creditor, does not report anything negative against you, so make sure they know they will be paid.

Customer:

How would i find out if i am a joint debtor or a creditor?

WALLSTREETESQ :

How could you be a creditor, that is if you loaned your mother money,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and she is trying to discharge the debt she owes you

Customer:

would i need to attend the meeting of creditors that is listed on the order of bankruptcy?

WALLSTREETESQ :

not unless you want to fight her discharge,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you do not have a loan with her, I would not worry,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you only have to make sure the credit card that you are willing to pay, understands that you will be paying them directly, and you have no issues

Customer:

ok, thank you

WALLSTREETESQ :

good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied with our service please press the accept button so we can receive credit