cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I am not able to refinance my home and I do not qualify for a loan modification. I ahev b

I am not able to refinance my home and I do not qualify for a loan modification. I ahev been told my best option is bankruptcy. My credit is good not how does this affect my rental prospects moving forward when credit checks are the norm? Thanks

cortrightlaw : I have found that all of my clients who have last their homes and filed bankruptcy have not had any problems renting a home. Private individuals are more flexible with their requirements then say apartment complexes. The key is to be honest and just explain your situation to your potential landlord and do not wait for the last minute to find the home you are going to rent.
Customer:

Thank you.

cortrightlaw : Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for my response.
Customer:

I have been told once I decided to file for bankruptcy that I will stop making mortgage payments-this makes me uncomfortable. Currently employeed and in a fairly stable job, BoA holds the Mtg. and I have my checking account with them. Prior to stopping payments should I open an account in another bank? How does this work? Will my current creditors-all of whom I am current with payments or carry no balance with-deny or take away my credit privilages as a result of a bankruptcy filing? This whole situation has me quite un-nerved and I don't want ot make any mistakes.

cortrightlaw : Yes you should change your bank to a bank were you don't owe any money to, and yes most likely all the credit cards will close your accounts. You do not need to fear the bankruptcy process just make sure you retain a lawyer you are confident will guide you through the process.