How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Virginia and my father is on hospice and my mother

Resolved Question:

I live in Virginia and my father is on hospice and my mother is disabled with very little income he has burial insurance policy and two life insurance policies totaling about 10,000.00 which I am beneficiary on all of them and will need the money for burial and to move to a larger home to accommodate my mother and indigent brother since he did a reverse mortgage leaving my mother and brother basically homeless. so I will be taking my mother and brother to live with me will I be able to have her file chapter 7 bankruptcy for my mother to have a fresh start. And is she responsible for any of his debts.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

Yes, your mother can file a bankruptcy petition under chapter 7 to discharge all of her debts. Also, your mother is not responsible for the individual debts of your father (because Va. is not a community property state).

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you