How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 42327
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced and my husband and I while married filed for

Resolved Question:

I am divorced and my husband and I while married filed for Chapter 13. I would like to change it to Chapter 7. Is it possible? Do we both have to file together? Can I change without involving him?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers : Thanks for your question and good evening.Since the Chapter 13 predated the divorce you will have to both jointly file to convert it to Chapter 7.The divorce here does not allow you to separate the bankruptcy.Here is refernce to the process for doing so.
RayAnswers :
RayAnswers : The divorce dealt with your other issues here but he bankruptcy is going to still have to be joint conversion.
RayAnswers : If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break. Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬---------------------------------------------------------------------Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer :

So if he does not want to convert, but I do want to convert, what legally can i do?

rayanswers and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you