Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been in chapter 13 banruptcy now for 4 1/2 years and

I have been in chapter 13 banruptcy now for 4 1/2 years and I turned my vehicle back over to the bank and purchased a different one. The bank has still not picked up the vehicle. Is there a way to get the title for this vehicle and sell it? I have contacted the bank numerous times but they do not have any interest in picking it up. The vehicle was turned over to the bank 6 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I have been in chapter 13 banruptcy now for 4 1/2 years and I turned my vehicle back over to the bank and purchased a different one. The bank has still not picked up the vehicle. Is there a way to get the title for this vehicle and sell it? I have contacted the bank numerous times but they do not have any interest in picking it up. The vehicle was turned over to the bank 6 months ago.

Response: Unfortunately, the only way that you can get the title to the car is if you pay off the outstanding loan on the car. It does not matter that you have surrendered the car in your bankruptcy to the bank and the bank does not appear to show any interest to pick up the car. Unless and until, the car loan is paid off, the bank would not release the title to you.