Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Can I file bankruptcy without losing my car or house. I live

Customer Question
in Maryland and currently have...
Can I file bankruptcy without losing my car or house. I live in Maryland and currently have have prior bills that i cant catch up with. I dont want to do this , however I feel there is no other way. I am gainfully employed, but am trying to avoid wage garnishments and so on. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/2/2012
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cortrightlaw, Attorney replied 5 years ago
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney

cortrightlaw : Yes you can almost always keep your car, the bankruptcy code provides exemptions that protect assets, additionally if there is no equity in a vehicle because of a loan against it that can also protect it.
cortrightlaw : What is the value of your car and if you have a loan how much do you owe?
JACUSTOMER-5xunogkp- :

I owe it outright. I have a condo that Im currently behind on for condo fees.They have taken me to court in the past and any money that I have paid outside that amount has gone to what was claimed in the judgement. For that reason I am now being informed that thay are currently showing me late and putting intend tofile an addition judgement. for that reason and a few others I feel it neccessary that I file bankruptcy. Can you pls tell me what I should expect and what actions to take.

JACUSTOMER-5xunogkp- :

Hello...anyone there?

cortrightlaw :

The value of your vehicle is crucial to be able to let you know if you can retain it or not, additionally are you trying to keep the condo or surrender it? And it sounds like you have allot going on regarding this issue so a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney would be a good idea so your complete financial situation can be evaluated.

cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.

cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney