How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The economic crash of 2008 effected my business (S corp) and

Resolved Question:

The economic crash of 2008 effected my business (S corp) and I have only managed to stay afloat by loaning the company nearly $300K out of my own savings. At this point it does not look like it's going to survive so that $300K is gone... I still have $100K in my savings but also a lease with a personal guarantee for another 20 months @ $20K /month.

Is there a way for me to file bankruptcy and keep my last $100K in the savings?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

1) Are you asking about a Bankrutpcy for yourself personally or for your business?

2) Do you own a home? If so, how much equity does the home have? (Equity = current market value minus the balance of the mortgage.)


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not own a home. I assumed that I would have to dissolve the S corp and file personal bankruptcy. I have no credit card or other debt. The only issue is the personal guarantee that I have on the lease for the business.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

A Bankruptcy filer is allowed to keep up to $23,250 in cash or from $75,000 - $175,000 equity in the home they live in (because of the homestead exemption).

You cannot protect the entire $100K if you keep the money in the bank, but you are allowed to convert that non-exempt asset into an exempt asset by purchasing a home.

That is the only way to protect that asset if you file a Bankruptcy.


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.

cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you