Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I received a company payroll check. I cashed at a check business

Customer Question
the check was returned no...
I received a company payroll check. I cashed at a check business the check was returned no funds. now the check cashing business is after me after 11 years. how long can they do this
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/1/2012
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 5 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney
Four years, if you signed a contract with the check cashing business -- three years if you just cashed the check without signing a contract concerning repayment.

Regardless, this is long past the statute of limitations for any California civil or criminal action (except murder, which has no statute of limitations). Sometimes creditors will try to trick debtors into making a payment, after the statute of limitations has run. If the debtor makes a payment, then the statute of limitations is reset to the start, and the creditor can sue to collect the remaining balance of the debt.

Also, if you were absent from California for any period of time, then the statute of limitations is suspended during that time. So, that could give the creditor more time.

But, otherwise, this would probably be a trick to get you to voluntarily make a payment.

Note: If the creditor sued and obtained a default judgment against you for the debt, then it would have 10 years to collect from the date of that judgment.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney