Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy in 1999, and was discharged

Customer Question

I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy in 1999, and was discharged in January, 2004. Sallie Mae is reporting to the TransUnion credit reporting agency that my account was closed in 2006, and under remarks Sallie Mae references "bankruptcy". This is completely false. The account was never closed and I still continue to pay Sallie Mae. The reference to "bankruptcy" should be off of my credit report. The other two credit reporting agencies make no reference to bankruptcy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
Over 33 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions. The two other reports are correct and you are correct in filing a dispute. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did fille a dispute and Transunion refused to take the information off of my report. Reference to the bankruptcy will remain under the Sallie Mae remarks until 2013, which means that for 14 years there will be a reference to bankruptcy on my report. I called Transunion and filed another dispute. I really don't think that Transunion is going to do anything further. I thought about filing a motion to reopen the bankruptcy because Sallie Mae and Transunion are violating the discharge. Can I do that? I will also file a complaint with the federal trade commission. I am just sick over this. Should I call Sallie Mae??
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I see that your previous Expert has opted out.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I did fille a dispute and Transunion refused to take the information off of my report. Reference to the bankruptcy will remain under the Sallie Mae remarks until 2013, which means that for 14 years there will be a reference to bankruptcy on my report. I called Transunion and filed another dispute. I really don't think that Transunion is going to do anything further. I thought about filing a motion to reopen the bankruptcy because Sallie Mae and Transunion are violating the discharge. Can I do that? I will also file a complaint with the federal trade commission. I am just sick over this. Should I call Sallie Mae??

Response: Yes, you can do that. Under 11 U.S.C. Section 350(b), you can reopen your bankruptcy case to request for any relief. You can also file complaint with FTC. However, before you file the Complaint or lawsuit against Sallie Mae, you need to contact its bankruptcy department to try to resolve the issue. You can contact the department at 1-800-428-9250 ext 81225.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.