How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a summons through a law firm for a credit card,

Customer Question

I received a summons through a law firm for a credit card, and I was paying the law firm for a seperate cc pmt, I am no longer employed, what are my options, I live in the state of Georgia and I need to know my rights before I contact the collection dept today.


Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

WebLaw :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

WebLaw :

Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

WebLaw :

If you do not respond to the summons, a default may be entered against you. Alternatively you may consider negotiating a settlement for the debt or filing bankruptcy You may want to consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I will explain.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. You may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption. However if everything you own is exempt, you should lose nothing but your debts.

Here are the exemptions for Colorado:

WebLaw :

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.