How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 72. I owe 56 thousand on a student loan. I still work

Resolved Question:

I am 72. I owe 56 thousand on a student loan. I still work but have had cancer this last year and do not know how long I can keep working. I have had this loan since 1994. It went into default during a divorce and doubled. Is there anything I can do shor of bankruptcy? Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.


The short answer is no - bankruptcy is the only real possibility to get rid of student loan debt. However, even if you file bankruptcy, student loans are generally not dischargable. The only exception is if you can prove a financial hardship. This is very hard to prove, but if you can show that your financial situation is dire and you can't afford basic living expenses if you're required to pay, and if you can show that you can't work and that's not going to change in the future (due to health issues), it is possible to discharge all or part of your student loans. Here's a good article you should read:

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions