How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a Chapter 13 case now. My plan was confirmed on November

Resolved Question:

I am in a Chapter 13 case now. My plan was confirmed on November 1, 2010. I am in a 60 month plan and I have a pot of $1,000.00 to pay to my unsecured creditors. Also, I am caught up on my payments to the trustee. However, I recently incurred some medically related bills, about $450.00 worth. I did not pay them then they went into collections and the hospital says that I am "coded" bankruptcy. Do I need to just file an amended schedule of unsecured creditors? Will the plan payments go up? If not, what is the next step for me? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
Over 33 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions. First, I hope you are feeling better. Note, because these medical bills were incurred after you filed your chapter 13, you cannot amend your plan to include later debts. So do not contact the chapter 13 trustee. Accordingly, so that the debts do not become litigated and involve attorneys and court costs, you need to contact the collectors and either offer them an lump sum to go away or work out payments that you can live with. Finally, the important thing is that you cannot ignore these newly incurred debts and they must be addressed sooner than later. I wish you well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if they say we cant take any payment from you because I am in bankruptcy?
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
They cannot say this because it is a post filing/post petition debt incurred. Therefore, they can accept payments and they or you do not need court permission.
dylatess and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you