How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A Maryland court awarded me child support. My ex now lives

Resolved Question:

A Maryland court awarded me child support. My ex now lives in, and has declared bankruptcy in, Utah. Is he still required to pay the Maryland court-awarded child support?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Your ex-husband is still required to pay the child support. Domestic support obligations - such as child support - are expressly not affected by any Bankruptcy. Bankruptcy Stat. 362(b)(2).

cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you