How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know the federal exemption for a vehicle is around $3,225.00.

Resolved Question:

I know the federal exemption for a vehicle is around $3,225.00. If your car is worth more than that, can you combine the 522(d)(2) car exemption with the 522(d)(5) wild card exemption to help cover the amount in car value that goes over the allowed 522(d)(2) exemption?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
The current federal Bankruptcy motor vehicle exemption is $3,450. In addition to that amount, you can use up to $1,150 of the wildcard exemption and up to $10,825 of any unused portion of the $21,625 homestead exemption for your car if it is worth more than $3,450.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you