How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been sued under the DTPA....I know in my heart I did

Customer Question

I have been sued under the DTPA....I know in my heart I did nothing wrong, however, a judgement has been put against me.... I do not make enough funds to pay this judgement.....what are my options?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
1) What does DTPA stand for?
2) What state are you in?
3) What is your source of income (employment, pension, etc.)?
4) Do you own significant assets - such as a house or a car?
5) Your question is in the Bankrutpcy Law section. Are you considering filing a Bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Deceptive Trade Practice Act



All assets are in my wife's name...not in mine


I cannot afford a $40,000-$80,000 judgment against me

Will a bankrupcy remove a judgement?



Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Was the judgment based on fraud, a false representation, or false pretenses?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no, violation of warranty under the DTPA



Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Then you can have that judgment discharged in a Bankruptcy.


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!