Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Hi, I know that I have several debt with credit cards any hospital

bills that I haven't paid...
Hi, I know that I have several debt with credit cards any hospital bills that I haven't paid since more than a year ago. I already received more than 200 calls and dozen and dozens of letter by mail from collection companies.

My question is: Can collectors come to my home (is this legal?) any time they want?, like Sunday morning ringing my door bell, evening, etc?, thank you.
11/5/2011
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Technically it is not illegal for a collector to come to your home to request payment. But, I would call that extremely rare.

Also, if the collector is a third party collection agency (meaning it is a company hired by the original creditor to collect on their behalf) then they are subject to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), and you can keep them from ever coming to your home again by sending them a letter similar to the one at the bottom of the page, HERE.

Good luck,
Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. JoeLawyer is an attorney but does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) JoeLawyer. All rights reserved.
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney