How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brothers wife of 5 years has filed for bankruptcy on her

Resolved Question:

My brothers wife of 5 years has filed for bankruptcy on her own. She says she wants a divorce. He changed his address to my sisters and since then received a bill for a home equity loan that he was unaware of for $140,000. He thought he was signing something that had to do with the refinancing. His name is XXXXX XXXXX the title for the home and his lawyer says he is not responsible. When they got married, he gave her $25,000 to refinance her home. Also, in the same year she took out the home equity loan, she had him co-sign a loan for a new car. With no evidence of any home improvements, large purchases or even the car to subsidize this amount, we strongly feel, she must not have reported this money to the bankruptcy agency. One other item, my brother was paying 1/2 the mortgage, working and she was receiving $4000.00/month for fostering 3 boys. She says her home is in foreclosure. Please see if any of this makes sense and what steps we should take to see if she reported these earning.
Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Attorney_Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  • What is your specific question for a legal expert to answer?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My question would be, how to report a possible bankruptcy fraud. My brother has no personal information for his wife. He can provide the bill for the 140,000 home equity she took out 3 years ago and possibly the 25,000 cancelled check given to her. We feel strongly that this money is somewhere. Like I mentioned, there is no evidence to substanciate all the money. They live a very modest life, there home is small with no updates. I'm not sure where to call and if they would be able to investigate whether she disclosed this money. We can only provide her name and address.


Thank you.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Sorry this took so long. Your question was in the wrong section.

The first step would be to get a copy of your brother's wife's Bankruptcy petition from the clerk at the Bankruptcy court. If after looking it over, it appears there are assets - such as money - that are missing, the next step would be to report this possible fraud to the Bankruptcy trustee, whose name and contact information you can also get from the Bankruptcy court clerk.


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!



cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you