How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankrucpty and received my Discharge in 2009. I have

Resolved Question:

I filed bankrucpty and received my Discharge in 2009. I have a car loan that I am still paying, but I do not want to keep the car. it appears on my credit as discharged and i am making payment to the discharge department. Can i have them pick the car up and not be held responsible for the remaining balance?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Yes it appears that you may stop making payments in your car loan and have the lender take the car without further liability

The chapter 7 bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on the vehicle

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you