How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A collection agency contacted me saying I have 20 days before

This answer was rated:

A collection agency contacted me saying I have 20 days before taking me to court for non payment of medical bills. I do not have the money. I am making less than minimum wage each month with no material objects the court can take to reimburse the debt. What can I expect from the court appearance? Should I file bankruptcy?

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
Do you have other debt?
What is your source of income?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am paying a tax debt to the state of oregon for 1500.00 from 2007. I am an officer/manager for a small restaurant. To keep the business going I make 800.00 a month. Some months I don't take a pay check to keep the business going.
Are you an owner of the business
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not own any percentage of the business. Just an officer.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The creditor may file suit against you and obtain a judgment for nonpayment of the debt. However once the judgment has been obtained, it does not appear that you have any assets that may be attached. Your wages may not be attached in Oregon since you were making less than 40 times the federal minimum hourly wage.Also since you have no assets to protect, it does not appear that it is necessary for you to file bankruptcy at this time.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What will happen if I cannot pay the amount owed and do not have the assets to cover payment?
The creditor will have a judgment will not be able to collect on the judgment. Since you do not have assets or sufficient wages to garnish, nothing will be able to be done to collect the debt
Ellen and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you