Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

A collection agency contacted me saying I have 20 days before

taking me to court for...
A collection agency contacted me saying I have 20 days before taking me to court for non payment of medical bills. I do not have the money. I am making less than minimum wage each month with no material objects the court can take to reimburse the debt. What can I expect from the court appearance? Should I file bankruptcy?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2011
Ellen, Attorney
Welcome!

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
Do you have other debt?
What is your source of income?

Thanks!
I am paying a tax debt to the state of oregon for 1500.00 from 2007. I am an officer/manager for a small restaurant. To keep the business going I make 800.00 a month. Some months I don't take a pay check to keep the business going.
Are you an owner of the business
I do not own any percentage of the business. Just an officer.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The creditor may file suit against you and obtain a judgment for nonpayment of the debt. However once the judgment has been obtained, it does not appear that you have any assets that may be attached. Your wages may not be attached in Oregon since you were making less than 40 times the federal minimum hourly wage.Also since you have no assets to protect, it does not appear that it is necessary for you to file bankruptcy at this time.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
What will happen if I cannot pay the amount owed and do not have the assets to cover payment?
The creditor will have a judgment will not be able to collect on the judgment. Since you do not have assets or sufficient wages to garnish, nothing will be able to be done to collect the debt
Ellen, Attorney
Ellen, Attorney