Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

If I get a judgement against me can they stop my wife from

Customer Question

If I get a judgement against me can they stop my wife from selling cars and home which is in our ames? XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. I am a Florida attorney. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

If UNUM obtains a judgment against you, they cannot attach the property held by you and your wife as tenancy by the entireties. In Florida property held by husband and wife is considered to be tenancy by the entireties and protected from the creditors of one spouse.

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

DO YOU MEAN MY WIFE CAN SELL OR REFINANCE AS SHE PLEASES, AFTER I AN DECEASED?

DO YOU TAKE CASES LIKE MY FOR ONLY FUNDS YOU WIN? BECAUSE I THINK THEY SILL OWE ME A LOT ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY DID NOT COUNT MY FOOD BILL OR HOUSING WHICH WAS GAVE TO ME FREE?

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

If the property is titled in both names (tenancy by the entirety or joint tenants), your wife can sell or refinance as she pleases after you were deceased.

I cannot take your case as per site policy. However I can give you guidance as this is seems to be standard operating procedure for UNUM

JustAnswer requires new questions to be posted on new question pages, but you can request me by starting your question with "FOR WEBLAW" and/or typing your question in my question box, which can be found here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=9968427&FID=39