How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone files a proof of claim as an agent for company a

This answer was rated:

If someone files a proof of claim as an agent for company a and you object to it, what do you do when the same agent is now claiming to represent company b by sending you a notice of transfer? Move to dismiss? file for sanctions?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.


Is it for the same debt, or a different debt?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The same debt.

If it's the same debt, the representative should have filed a amended proof of claim and indicate on the top right of the firm that this proof of claim amends the previous one.


If the proof of claim doesn't do this, you should file a motion to strike the proof of claim and claim that the same debt is being sought twice. The judge should strike the improperly filed claim.


It is not likely that the court would find that this was fraudulent unless it is proven that the representative did this on purpose in an attempt to defraud the court and trustee. This is often hard to prove, and usually the intent of the filing party is not based on fraud.



Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you