How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother lives in Ms and is on ss and my dad is in the nursing

Resolved Question:

My mother lives in Ms and is on ss and my dad is in the nursing home, she has very little money coming in(around 1500) a month and is over 10,000 in credit card debt, she has been advised to fille bankrupcy by a credit care worker, my question is which one would she need to file and how much would it cost her? she needs her car and her house but medical bills and credit cards she doesnt.. Please advise on which would be best for her... Thank you so much, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney in Mississippi.


The only chapter of bankruptcy where debt is discharged is Chapter 7, which is a complete liquidation.


There are exemptions for vehicles and primary residence that should keep this property safe. Here's an outline of the exemptions: Also, if she has a loan on the car or a mortgage on the house, she can reaffirm those debts by reaching an agreement with the lenders.


Her unsecured debts can be discharged through bankruptcy to relieve her of these obligations.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you