cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

Referring to ll of the above, we have decided and started the

Referring to ll of the above, we have decided and started the process of bankruptcy. Chaper 7. One question that I need to clear up. My son's name is XXXXX XXXXX of my credit cards. He has never used it, but wanted to get a better credit rating (ironic)..I owe THAT credit card 2700.00. I have asked them to remove his name and they won't do it because of my "history" in the credit report. I've never once been late with a payment. Now that I am filing bankruptcy, how will this affect my son? He can't pay it and I don't want HIS credit report damaged...Will they come after him and will he have a bankruptcy on his report, even though he is not filing...
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Is your son a responsible party for the credit card, or is he only an authorized user?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe an authorized user. I had this card by myself for a couple of years and then he didn't have a credit card and just wanted to show that he could be added for his own credit while buying a house. I added him on. They also sent one to me in his name. I think authorized user. I was the one that received it first.

Then your son has to contact the credit card company to explain he never uses the card, and he wants to be removed as an authorized user. They will want him to fax or mail a letter telling them this, and they will give him the address and/or fax number.

If any of his credit reports have your credit card listed, the credit card company must also notify that credit bureau(s) that he is no longer an authorized user, and the card should be removed from his credit report(s). As it takes up to 30 days for this to happen, he should check his credit report 30 days after notifying the credit card company to make sure the credit card was removed.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If he requests to have his name remove "before" the bankruptcy is filed, will they still let him remove his name or will they come after him for the balance.? We want to try and work it out with the bank and pay this off, but the bank will have to be listed when we file. I just don't want a "ding" on his credit report...what do you think?
1) He should request that his name be removed before the Bankruptcy is filed, because the credit card company may not be able to remove his name while the Bankruptcy is in progress.
2) If your son is an "authorized user", and the account is not in his name (he is not a responsible party), your Bankruptcy will not make him liable for what is owed on the card.