How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there certain conditions in which the court will change

Resolved Question:

Are there certain conditions in which the court will change the payments. ie unemployment, illness?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
Thank you for accepting my answer!
What is the reason you filed a Chapter 13 instead of a Chapter 7?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Due to the means test my income was too high. I make $78,000 a year, credit card debt $65,000. I do receive rent each month in the amount of $1080. I wish I was able to file a chapter 7.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
If your income changes, you can get a modification in your monthly payment amount.
However, if your income goes down enough, you can have your case converted to a Chapter 7.
To determine whether you pass the Means Test, unemployment income is not included. So, if you lose your job, and receive unemployment, you will be able to convert to a Chapter 7. This way, you will be able to have your debts discharged without having to pay anything.
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions