How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I represent a small business LLC with noteholders and members.

Customer Question

I represent a small business LLC with noteholders and members. The notes are due and unpaid. One noteholder has a UCC-1 security interest filing. He is suing the LLC for payment of the note.There is a plan being circulated among the stakeholders on how the business (which has not had cashflow) could raise additional capital and begin making revenue in 4-6 months.Can the LCC file a chapter 11 reorganization so that the noteholder cannot liquidate the assets of the LLC in order to pay his past due note?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

A Chapter 11 can be used to stop a secured creditor from repossessing business property. Ultimately, the debtor must create a reorganization plan that either can be confirmed by the various creditors, or which is fair to the creditors and where at least one impaired creditor consents to the plan (aka "cramdown" reorganization).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions