Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

If a couple who is not married and one of them is filing for

Customer Question
BK how would the income...
If a couple who is not married and one of them is filing for BK how would the income and expenses be reported? Would you use the income of the partner not filing for the means test calculation? When reporting just the one income schedule I and J are severely out of balance. For example there is a vehicle in the debtors name with a loan as well as a mortgage on the home and the one income doesn't not cover these expenses.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
8/5/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

ON the schedules, the debtor must list down all household income and expenses, from whatever source for whomever lives there.

Terry L. :

schedule I has a list for spouses income. on schedule J, you can add an attachment for the non-filing spouses personal expenses they have each month as well.

Terry L. :

This is also listed on the means test too. There is a marital deduction that can be selected on the means test if there is a non-filing spouse.

Terry L. :

sorry, I mentioned -non-filing spouse. you would indicate it as contribution to household income then.

Terry L. :

you would list the amounts contributed to the household expenses only (so the personal expenses are already accounted for, so wouldn't need to be listed.)

Terry L. :

I misread, sorry for the confusion.

Terry L. :

Same result though.

Terry L. :

This would go for the means test, and the I/J schedules.

Terry L. :

let me know if you have any questions. thanks

Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney